In this hint, I will elaborates How to create a custom page layout using a SharePoint Designer by following the mentioned steps below :
- Open your Publishing site > Site Actions > Site Settings > Galleries > Master pages and page layouts.
- On the Master pages and page layouts > New Document > Page Layout.
- On the New Page Layout page, > Content Type Group set to Page Layout Content Types > the Content Type Name set as an Article Page.> set the URL,Title > Click OK.
- Open the page layout in SPD, > Open site in SPD > All Files >_catalogs >masterpage directory > make any updates as needed, etc.
- Once you have made changes to the page layout > Check in > publish and approve the layout before a content page can use it.
Your new page layout should now be approved and ready to be used on a content page.