In this hint, I will elaborate How to
Create an external content type via SharePoint Designer In SharePoint
- Open SharePoint designer > Connect to your site.
- In the Navigation area select “External Content Type“.
- From the top menu select “External Content Type” to create a new one.
- In External Content Type information, specify the needed information.
- Click on “Click here to discover external data sources“.
- Click “Add connection” and select “SQL Server”.
- Set the “Database Server” Name and the “Database Name” then click “Ok”.
- In Data Source Explorer, you should see your database.
- Select an object from your database that you want to use it as an external source.
- Right click on the table and select “Create All Operations”.
- In the wizard page, select your table identifier > click Next > finish
- Now you are done and you need to create your external list,
- Click on “Create Lists & Forms” in the top ribbon
- Click yes to save your external content type
- Type List Name, select “Create InfoPath Form” checkbox and click “Ok”
- And the SharePoint designer will create your list with full operations.
- SharePoint 2016.
- SharePoint 2013.
- SharePoint 2010.