In this hint, I will elaborate How to create an external content type via SharePoint Designer by following the mentioned steps below :
- Open SharePoint designer > Connect to your site.
- In the Navigation area select “External Content Type”.
- From the top menu select “External Content Type” to create a new one.
- In External Content Type information specify the needed information.
- Click on “Click here to discover external data sources…”.
- Click “Add connection” and select “SQL Server”.
- Fill Database Server Name and the database name then click “Ok”.
- In Data Source explorer, you should see your database.
- Now select an object from your database that you want to use it as an external source.
- Right click on the table and select “Create All Operations”.
- In the wizard page select your table identifier > click Next > finish
- Now you are done and you need to create your external list,
- Click on “Create Lists & Forms” in the top ribbon
- Click yes to save your external content type
- Type List Name, select “Create InfoPath Form” check box and click “Ok”
- And the SharePoint designer will create your list with full operations.