Many updates need to be in the right place to make sure that you will reach your goal, so in this article we will assume that you don’t have any updates or service packs, and from that point we will start in group of updates so you can ignore any stage you already have it. Also in this article we will talk about in place upgrade.
Note: Some of product recommendation recommend a product version or above, and the problem come from the above versions with the new SharePoint setup, so my advice to you is to stick to the below plan (coz we already have many problems from that).
SharePoint 2007 without SP2
If your environment has a SharePoint 2007 without any service pack (SP) or not having SP2 installed then you need to follow the following processes:
Note: If you are not sure if the SP2 installed, run this command and check if there operation there or not (stsadm.exe –o preupgradwcheck) if it is not then you don’t have SP2
- Install WSS SP2 and the latest CU.
- Install SP2007 SP2.
- Install SQL 2008 SP2 (SQL 2008 R2 may issue a problem with SharePoint 2010 installation so it is better to have SP2 and after the installation completed you can upgrade to SQL 2008 R2).
- Run the “Preupgradecheck” to see if you have something not compatible with the new version using the following command (stsadm.exe –o preupgradwcheck) and make sure to fix any issue before you continue. Also it is recommended to run the pre upgrade checker many times until you resolve all issues.
SharePoint 2007 with SP2 and CU
Install the following prerequisite items to make sure that your environment ready to the upgrade:
- Download and install Hotfix for Microsoft windows (KB976462).
- Download and install Microsoft sync framework runtime(x64).
- Download and install Microsoft Chart Control for .Net framework.
- Download and install Microsoft speech_SK_en_US_Tele.
- Install Windows identity foundation.
- Install Geneva framework.
Note: If you have Microsoft “Geneva” Framework installed, you must uninstall it before you install the Windows Identity Foundation (WIF).
- Restart & Run windows 2008 R2.
- For Windows Server 2008 SP2, download the Windows6.0-KB979917-x64.msu (Vista) file
- For Windows Server 2008 R2, download the Windows6.1-KB979917-x64.msu (Win7) file.
Note: You must download an update for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 before you run Setup. The update is a hotfix for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 that is installed by the Preparation tool.
In our case we will use the second option for the updates.
Run SharePoint 2010 setup wizard and follow the steps.