During planning an upgrade to SQL Server 2012, you first have to make sure that the target servers meet the necessary hardware and software requirements for SQL Server 2012 Setup to be completed.
Setup Requirements for an In-Place Upgrade
SQL Server 2012 Setup has important version-level requirements for upgrading
instances of SQL Server 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2 in-place. The basic requirements are
- SQL Server 2005: SP4 is required.
- SQL Server 2008: SP2 is required.
- SQL Server 2008 R2: SP1 is required.
- If your production instance of SQL Server 2005/2008/2008 R2 is installed on Windows Server 2003, you must upgrade to a new server by using a side-by-side upgrade.
- SQL Server 2012 is not supported on Windows Server 2003 and an in-place upgrade is not possible .
SQL Server Prerequisites Installed by Setup
The SQL Server 2012 Installation Wizard installs the following prerequisites (if they are
not already present on the computer):
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
- SQL Server Native Client.
- SQL Server support files.
To install SQL Server 2012 follow the mentioned steps below :
- Mount SQL Server Media ISO/CD -> Run SQL Server Installation file -> From SQL Server Installation Center –> Click on Installation.
- Select the first option to add features to existing installation.
- Click OK after passed all Setup Support Rules.
- Check Product Updates and click Next.
- Again,Check Setup Support Rules and click Next.
- From Installation Types –> Check Perform New Installation –> Next.
- From Setup Role –> Select SQL Server Feature Installation –> Next.
- From Feature Selection –> Below Instance Features –> Select
- Database Engine Services.
- Client Tools Connectivity.
- Management Tools – Basic.
- Reporting Service -Native. (Optional)
- Click Next.
- Configure Instance by setting the instance name or leave default –> Next.
- Check Disk Space Requirement –> Next.
- In Server Configuration –> Set the Service Account –> Next.
- In Reporting Service Configuration –> Check Install only.
- In Error Reporting Click Next.
- In Installation Configuration Rules Check every thing is passed –> Next.
- In Ready to install –> Click on Install.
- Complete the installation wizard and click Finish.
- Open SQL Management Studio.
- Connect to SQL Server using Windows Authentication or SQL Authentication.
- You cannot run SQL Server services on a domain controller under a local service account.
- After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain member to a domain controller. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain controller.
- After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain controller to a domain member. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain member.
- SQL Server failover cluster instances are not supported where cluster nodes are domain controllers.
- SQL Server Setup cannot create security groups or provision SQL Server service accounts on a read-only domain controller. In this scenario, Setup will fail.
For more details check MSDN