When I tried to start a User Profile Synchronization Service (UPSs) in SharePoint by following:
- Central Administration > Manage Services On Server
- Beside User Profile Synchronization Service > I clicked Start.
The service status is changed from Stopped to “Starting” and after 20 minutes the status is still “Starting” and then stuck as shown below.
First of all, you should stop the UPSs using SharePoint Management Shell by running the following Cmdlets (for more details check this hint)
get-spServiceInstance #to list all Application Services stop-spServiceInstance -identity "UPS Service GUID fro previous command result"
Second you should check the following prerequisites :
- Ensure the User Profile Sync Service account is a member of Farm Administrator group.
1-Central Administration > Security > Manage the farm administrator Group.
2-Check that the UPSs account has been added.
- Ensure the farm account that used to start the service is a member of Local Administrator group in Application Servers that running this service.
- Server Manager > Configuration > Local Users and Groups > Groups > Right click on Administrators group > Select Add to Group. In the Administrator Properties windows > click on Add.
(Note : After making changes to the farm account, you must restart the SharePoint Timer service or restart the server. This ensures that every SharePoint service that is currently running as the farm account is using the latest credentials.)
(Note : adding farm account to local administrator group is required only to start the User Profile Synchronization service. After the User Profile Synchronization service is started, you can remove the farm account from the Administrators group. for more details check this )
- Ensure the service account is a member of Local Administrator group in Application Servers that running this service.
- Server Manager > Configuration > Local Users and Groups > Groups > Right click on Administrators group > Select Add to Group. In the Administrator Properties windows > click on Add > Select your User profile service account .
- Ensure the User Profile Sync Service account is a member of “WSS_WSP” and “WSS_Admin_WPG” group.
- Delegate the User profile Synchronization account to have Replicating Directory Changes by following the mentioned steps in this article.
- Make sure that all updates have been applied successfully on all servers before you create a new User Profile Service Application.
- Make sure that IIS is running.
- Make sure that SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool is started.
- Make sure that IIS authentication > Anonymous > Edit > Specific User is IUSER as shown below.
- Perform IISRESET.
- Make sure that the following services are running
- Forefront Identity Manager Service.
- Forefront Identity Manager Service Synchronization
- Make Sure that the User Profile Service account has relevant permission in the user profile services.
After you has been ensured all the previous points > Login to the server with this account.(Note: if you got any issue to login check this article). > do the following :
- Try to start the UPSs again.
- If still stuck, try to stop it > Delete the current UPSs > Create new one from Manage service application.
If you has been checked all the previous steps and the service still not started. thus you will need to install at least SharePoint Service Pack 1 or last CU and then try to create anew User Profile Sync Service.
You might be interested to check
- “This User Profile Application’s connection is currently not available”
- “User Profile Synchronization Service Starting and Stopped”