When I tried to open SQL Server Management Studio evaluation edition, I got the following error message:
Evaluation period has expired
In this article, I will explain How to extend the SQL Server Evaluation period by following the mentioned steps below:
The prerequisites list.
- First of all, you should change your machine date to a specific date where the SQL server had worked properly.
- Make sure that the Service Pack 1 has been installed before upgrading SQL Server 2012 evaluation edition to any licensed edition. (If it was not installed , you should install it from here)
- Open Registry,
- The register editor should be shown > Navigate to the following path
- Edit the REG_DWORD value of the Common Files.
- In value data set 3 as shown in the figure below.
In next section, I will demonstrate how to upgrade your edition to extend the evaluation period by following the mentioned steps below:
- Mount the same SQL Server installation media (ISO/CD) that was used to install SQL Server previously.
- Go to installation file of your SQL Server Edition, Run Setup File.
- Select Maintenance section as shown in the figure below and click Edition Upgrade
- Click Next on Setup Support Rules.
- On the next screen, choose Enter the product key, this usually a pre-filled for Developer edition; or if the licensed ISO file is used.
- Accept the License Terms on the next screen.
- Select the instance to be upgraded to the new edition.
- The installation will then continue with running Edition Upgrade Rules. This is where feature compatibility is being checked.
- Click Upgrade on the next screen.
- Once the upgrade is completed successfully, click Close.
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager and start the SQL Server Service.
- Open Management Studio to check if the expiration message still appear.
- Great, it has been worked.
- Reset your date again to your current date.
Finally, I have an important question that is: What about the extended evaluation period has been expired again?! In this situation, you should read this article