In this article, I will explain How
Extend the SQL Server Evaluation Period
When I tried to open SQL Server Management Studio evaluation edition, I got the below error message:
SQL Server Evaluation period has expired
Extend the SQL Server Evaluation Period Steps
Extend SQL Server Evaluation Period prerequisites list.
- First of all, you must change the SQL Server machine date to a specific date that the SQL server was working properly.
Note: After extending the SQL Server Evaluation Period, you will need to readjust the machine date to today again,
- Make sure that the Service Pack 1 has been installed before upgrading SQL Server 2012 evaluation edition to any licensed edition.
- If it was not installed, you should install it from SQL Server Service Pack 1.
- Open Registry,
- Go to Start Menu > Open Registry Editor.
- The register editor should be shown > Navigate to the following path
- Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\ConfigurationState
- Edit the REG_DWORD value of the Common Files.
- In value data, set it to 3.
Upgrade the SQL Server Edition to Extend the Trial Period
In this section, I will demonstrate how to upgrade your edition to extend the evaluation period by doing the following:
- Mount the same SQL Server installation media (ISO/CD) that was used to install SQL Server previously. (or an ISO image with the same SQL version)
- Go to installation file of your SQL Server Edition, Run Setup File.
- Select Maintenance section, and click Edition Upgrade
- In Setup Support Rules, click Next.
- Check “Enter the product key”, Usually it is automatically filled for
- Developer edition; or
- Licensed ISO file is used.
- Accept the License Terms.
- Select the instance that you would like to upgrade.
- Make sure that the Edition Upgrade Rules have been verified, then click Next.
- Finally, Click “Upgrade”.
- Once the upgrade is completed successfully, click Close.
- Open “SQL Server Configuration Manager”.
- Restart the SQL Server Service.
- Open “SQL Server Management Studio” that should be now opening properly.
The SQL Server Trial Edition has extended successfully.
The Extended SQL Server evaluation period has expired again, How to extend it?
The above steps would extend the SQL Server trial period, but Is it possible to extend the extended SQL Server period again?
There is a workaround that should help you to extend the extended SQL trial period after it expired, Please check it at The extended SQL Server evaluation has expired again, How to extend it?
- SQL Server 2012.