In this article, I will solve the below SharePoint Document Library Issue
Upload Multiple Documents is disabled in SharePoint Document Library.
When I tried to upload multiple files to document library in SharePoint, I noticed that the Upload Multiple Documents and Open with Explorer buttons were grayed out as shown below.
- You are using a browser that doesn’t support Activex like Google Chrome/Edge.
- WebClient Service is not started on the WFE SharePoint Servers cross the farm.
- Microsoft Office Compatability Issue. / Microsoft Office is not installed.
“Upload Multiple Documents” is working with Internet Explorer.
You should be aware of the Upload Multiple Documents and Open with Explorer options are disabled and they are not working with the browsers that don’t support ActiveX.
WebClient Service is not started On WFE SharePoint Servers
- Install the Desktop Experience feature for all WFE SharePoint servers to be able to start the web client service.
- .Go to Services to start “WebClient” Service on all WFE SharePoint Servers within the farm.
Enable Client Integration in SharePoint Web Application
Also, Make sure that your web application enables Client Integration.
- Open Central Administration > Manage web applications > Authentication Providers > Check Client Integration.
Microsft Office Compatability Issue
If the WebClient was started but the “Upload Multiple Documents” still grayed out! so you should trace the issue based on your current entries.
In my case, I have office 2010 64x and using IE11 64x, but the “Upload Multiple Documents“ option still grayed out! therefore,I tried to trace the last changes that was occurred on my Personal PC as the following :
- I had Office 2007 32x. so I uninstalled it to can install office 2010 64x.
- I installed office 2010 64x. but the “Upload Multiple Documents” option still disabled!.
- Then,I tried to uninstall office 2010 64x and install it again. Unfortunately, it’s not solving the issue.
- Finally I realized that there is a conflict between office 2010 64x & Office 2007 32x. although I uninstalled Office 2007 32x but still there are some files that related to it.
- I went back to the operating system drive (C: \) where I have two folders called Program Files & Program Files (86x).
- I tried to delete office folder that located in Program Files (86x) then I uninstalled office 2010 64x and install it again, Finally,the issue has been solved and the “Upload Multiple Documents” option is now enabled!
Upload Multiple Documents option should be activated after installing Microsft office.
- if it still disabled, so there’s a conflict between office 32x and 64x and you need to trace what’s the last changes related to office installation on your PC.
Internet Explorer Compatability
- IE 32x or 64x works fine with office 2007 32x.
- IE 32x or 64x works fine with fresh office 2010/2013 64x (Fresh means you didn’t installed office 2007 32x before on your PC).
Note: If you don’t have office 64x you can install SharePoint Designer 64x that should also solve this issue.
- SharePoint 2013.
- SharePoint 2010.