In SharePoint Server 2013 / Project Server 2013. while I tried to edit the Master Page of PWA Site. I got the following error message:
This web site has been configured to disallow editing with SharePoint Designer
This problem might occur because of
- SharePoint Designer might be disallowed to be used in this Web Application.
- By default, Web design features are disabled in ONET.XML file.
First, I thought that SharePoint Designer might be disabled in Web Application General Settings, therefore, I checked it by opening:
- Central Administration > Application Management > Manage Web Application > Select Web Application > General Settings > SharePoint Designer.
- As shown below, It’s already Checked.
By investigating the issue, I was trying to open another site with a different template (Team Site Template) that was edited properly!
Finally, I realized that the problem is not related to SharePoint Designer and the main reason is related to Project Site Template that by default disable the web design features in ONET.XML file.
To enable the web design features in ONET.XML file, you should follow the bit steps below:
- Navigate to the following path:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15 \TEMPLATE\SiteTemplates
Note: 15 hive depend on the SharePoint Version (15 for SP 2013, 14 for SharePoint 2010, 12 for SharePoint 2007).
- Open (PWA) > XML Folder.
- Right click on ONET.xml file to edit it with any appropriate program (I used Notepad).
- Press Ctrl + F on the keyboard to search for DisableWebDesignFeatures=”wdfopensite” that should be placed in Project Tag.
- Remove this Property DisableWebDesignFeatures=”wdfopensite” from Project tag.
- Save and Close.
- Reset IIS (Run > CMD > IISRESET /force).
- Restart SharePoint Designer that should now be worked properly.