When I tried to deploy SSRS reports ,I got the following error:
The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database
The SSRS encryption keys have not been configured properly.
It was the first time that I saw a clear error message that described What I should do to solve this error ?! However, I will explain How to solve it in details!
- Open Reporting Service Configuration Manager > Connect to SSRS Server Instance.
- Select ‘Encryption Keys’ from the left pane.
- If you have a backup key with extension .snk and Password, Press the ‘Restore’ button.
- If you do not have a backup key Press ‘Delete’ button.
- Wait until get this result.
- Reconfigure the data sources in your reports by using Report Manager. (No need if you already have a back up Key).
- Restart IIS (Open CMD –> IISRESET).
The issue should now been solved.