In this article, I will show How to
Check the date field is NULL or Empty in SharePoint Designer Workflow
In SharePoint, I have created a SharePoint Designer workflow to check if the value of the Date field is NULL of Empty.
I have added “if condition“,
Unfortunately, there is no option to achieve that, you must select a specific date or the today value as shown below
You have three options to check if the current date field value is NULL or Empty in SharePoint Designer
Check Empty Date in SharePoint Designer Workflow
- In your list, create a new field called “null-date“.
- Before saving, uncheck “Add to the default view” option.
- Open list settings > Advanced Settings.
- Enable “Manage Contents Types“.
- Go back to list setting, and below the “Content Types” click on the “item“.
- Click on the “null-date” field from the columns page.
- Click on “Hidden“.
- Go back to SharePoint Designer workflow.
- Add an IF condition.
- Set the first value to the date field item and the second value to “null-date” field.
Check NULL Date in SharePoint Designer Workflow
In SharePoint Designer workflow, the default Empty Date Field value is ‘01/01/0001 12:00 AM‘.
So you can check if the date field is less than any old date like “1900/10/01“. in this case, it’s pretty sure that the Date Field value is empty.
Alternatively, you can
- Create a Workflow Variable as a String.
- Set this variable to the date field as a short date.
- Compare if the variable equal to the “1/1/0001” (the default date field value)
- SharePoint Designer Workflow 2013.
- SharePoint Designer Workflow 2010.
- SharePoint 2016.
- SharePoint Online