One of the biggest changes in Project Server 2016 is the installation process. So before you get started to Install and configure Project Server 2016, you should be aware of:
- A separate installation is no longer required as it was in previous versions of Project Server.
- The SharePoint Server 2016 MSI file will contain the installation files for Project Server 2016 as well.
- Project Server 2016 runs as a service application in SharePoint Server 2016.
- Project Server 2016 is only available on SharePoint Server 2016 Enterprise.
Note: Although Project Server 2016 is included as part of the SharePoint Server 2016 Enterprise installation, but it is still require a separate license.
Below I’ll elaborate How to configure Project Server 2016 under SharePoint 2016?
- Create SharePoint and Project Server Service Account.
- Install & configure SharePoint 2016.
- Register Managed Account.
- Configure Project Server 2016 Service.
- Deploy Project Web App.
Create SharePoint and Project Server Service Account.
First, you should create the following service accounts in Active Directory.
- SPAdmin is the installation account that used to install and run SharePoint configuration wizard.
- it should be added to local administrator group on each server on which Setup is run.
- Member of the Server admin SQL Server security role.
- SPFarm is the farm account that used to configure the farm.
- it must have a server role as DBcretor and security admin in SQL Server.
- db_owner fixed database role for all databases in the server farm
- PSWebAppPool is a domain user that used to run the application pool for the web application that will host the PWA site collection.
- PSSrvAppPool is a domain user that used to run the associated application pool with Project server service application.
Install & configure SharePoint 2016.
- Download Sharepoint 2016 from Microsoft.
- I assumed you already have a farm that meets the hardware and software requirements for Sharepoint 2016.
Minimum requirements for the database server in the farm is The 64-bit edition of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
Minimum requirements for Operating System is Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Datacenter or Windows Server 2016 Standard or Datacenter
- Run the Microsoft SharePoint Products Preparation Tool.
- Run the SharePoint installation file.
- Provide the SharePoint Key, and follow the steps as shown below.
- Enterprise trial product key: NQGJR-63HC8-XCRQH-MYVCH-3J3QR
Once the installation is finished, the Central Administration will be opened, Click on cancel to configure the farm manually.
Register Managed Account.
- On the Central Administration home page, in the left navigation, click Security.
- On the Security page, in the General Security section, click Configure managed accounts.
- On the Managed Accounts page, click Register Managed Account.
- Type the user name and password of the service account and leave the Automatic Password Change settings as default.
- Click OK.
- Repeat the above steps for all service accounts.
All the above steps are related to SharePoint 2016 installation and configuration, in the next section, I will show How to configure Project Server 2016?
Enable Project Server 2016 License.
- Open the SharePoint 2016 Management Shell as Administrator.
- Type the below cmdlet to enable Project Server 2016:
Project Server trial license key: Y2WC2-K7NFX-KWCVC-T4Q8P-4RG9W
Creating a Project Server service application.
- On the Central Administration home page, in the Application Management section, click Manage service applications.
- On the Manage Service Applications page, on the ribbon, click New, and then click Project Server Service Application.
- Provide the name, and select the service account that will run this service as shown below.(In this case, it’s PSSrvAppPool).
In Project Server 2013, to be able to create the Project Server Application Service, you needed to start the Project Server Application Service manually as a prerequisite.
In Project server 2016, the Project Server Application Service will be started automatically once the project server service application is created, you could note that in the central Administration > System Setting > Services On Server.
Create a web Application for PWA.
- On the SharePoint Central Administration > in the Application Management > Web Application > Manage Web application.
- From the above ribbon > Select New > Provide the required information and select PSWebAppPool as application pool account.
- Once you have created the web application > Click Create Site collection to create the top level website.
Note: Project Server 2016 does not require a specific template. You can choose one appropriate for your organization.
Create a PWA Content Database.
- On the SharePoint Central Administration > in the Application Management > DataBases > Manage Content Databases.
- Click on Add A content Database.
- Create a new Content Database for PWA “WSS_Content_PWA”
Lock Down PWA Content Database to prevent any new site collections being added except PWA site.
- I have written an article (Content Database Consideration During Provisioning a new PWA Instance In Project Server) to do that for Project Server 2013, it;s the same steps for Project Server 2016.
The final result should look like the following:
Create and provision PWA Instance.
In Project Server 2013, you can create and provision PWA instance by managing Project Server Service application as shown below.
Contrary to what was happening in the Project Server 2013: In Project Server 2016 you can’t provision PWA instance via Central Administration.
In this case, The PWA instance should be provisioned via PowerShell cmdlets as mentioned below:
- Open the SharePoint 2016 Management Shell as Administrator.
- Type the following to create PWA instance in Project Server 2016:
New-SPSite -ContentDatabase PWA_Content -URL http://epm/sites/PWA -Template pwa#0
- Then Enable ‘pwasite’ feature.
Enable-SPFeature pwasite -URL http://contoso-appsrv1/sites/PWA
You can now access the new Project Web App site.
Like Project Server 2013, the Project Server 2016by default has the SharePoint Permission mode, To switch from SharePoint Mode to Project Server Mode, follow the mentioned steps at SharePoint Permission Mode Vs Project Server Permission Mode in Project Server