When I tried to open SQL Management Studio for SQL Server 2012, I got the following error:
Service 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService' not found
In my case, I pressed OK and everything is working properly.but I need to avoid showing this error again,
This error might occur because of
- Using a trial version.
- Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll was deleted.
- SQl Server 2012 SP 1 was not installed.
Regarding Cause (1) Solution.
The simplest way to overcome this error is to run SQL Server Management Studio as administrator. where this solution is working properly for me.
Regarding Cause (2) Solution.
In some cases, the above solution did not work. Thence, you will need to ensure that the
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll located in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio folder. If it lacks Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll file, so you should try to repair the SQL Server via SQL Server Media (ISO/DVD).
Regarding Cause (3) Solution.
First, you should check the latest server patch that has been installed in SQL Server by doing the following :
- Open SQL Managment Studio > From Help menu > Select About.
- The About dialog should be shown > in Version column > copy the version number of SQL Server Managment Studio.
- Open SQL Server Build Number Table. > Search for the copied version number as shown below.
If the Server patch level is lower than Service Pack 1. thence, you should install SQL Server Service Pack 1 from here (about 3.63 GB)
In this case, the last Server Patch level that has been installed is SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2. So the issue is not related to Server Update.