When I tried to open SQL Management Studio for SQL Server 2012, I got the following error:
Service ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService’ not found
Actually, it’s annoying message that appears every time I have opened the SQL Server Management Studio.
I just clicked OK and everything is working properly. but I am trying to find any solution avoid “Service ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService’ not found” error message permanently.
The “Service ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService’ not found” might occur in case of
- You are using a trial version.
- The “Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll” was deleted.
- The SQL Server 2012 SP 1 is not installed.
Run SQL Management Studio as Administrator
The simplest way to overcome this error is running the SQL Server Management Studio as administrator. this solution is working properly for me.
Missing Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll – Repair SQL Server
In some cases, the above solution did not work. so, you should ensure that
- The Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll is located in
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio folder.
If the Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll file is missing, Try to repair the SQL Server via SQL Server Media (ISO/DVD).
Patch SQL Server
Check the latest server patch that has been installed in SQL Server by checking the following:
- Get the build number of the latest cumulative update/service pack that has been installed on SQL server.
- How to detect the current cumulative update/service pack that was installed on SQL server.
If the Server patch level is lower than Service Pack 1. thence, you should install SQL Server Service Pack 1 from here (about 3.63 GB)