In this article, I will solve the below issue
The SharePoint User Profile Synchronization Service Starting then Stopped
When I tried to configure User Profile Synchronization Service in SharePoint Server by doing the following:
- Open Central Administration as a Farm account.
- Go to Application Management > Manage Service Application.
- Create a New User Profile Service Application.
- The Create New User Profile Service Application page will be shown.
- After the User Profile Synchronization Service has been created successfully, I went back to
- System Settings > Manage Services on Server.
I tried to restart User Profile Synchronization Service. But unfortunately, I got the below-unexpected behavior:
User Profile Synchronization Service is starting then stopped!
As I have mentioned before at User Profile Synchronization Service Stuck on ‘Starting’, there are more reasons that raise this issue,
But In this case, The problem was related to the permission setting for the farm account.
Note: The farm account must be added to local administrator group during starting and provisioning User Profile Synchronization Service.
Note: In some cases, the User Profile Synchronization Service Starting then Stopped if you are using SQL server 2014 with SharePoint 2013,
In this case, you just need to patch your farm with the June 2014 CU or the latest.
Add the farm account to the local administrator group
To add a farm account to local Administrator group, you should follow the mentioned steps:
- Open Server Manager > Tools > Computer Management.
- From left side > Select Local User and Groups > Click on Groups > Administrator Group.
- Right Click on Group name > Properties > From Member tab > Select the service account > Add.
In case, the Active Directory had been installed on the same SharePoint Server (for only TEST/DEV purpose). you should add the farm account to the Administrator Group as the following:
- Open Active Directory Users and Computer as administrator.
- From left side > Select Built-in > Double click on Administrators groups.
- From Members Tap > Select the service account > Click Add.
- Repeat the previous steps on all SharePoint Servers that running this service.
Restart SharePoint Timer Service
Any changes to the farm account require restarting the SharePoint 2013 Timer service on all App SharePoint Server.
This ensures that every SharePoint service that is currently running as the farm account is using the latest credentials.
- Go back to System Settings > Manage Services on Server.
- Try to start UPS service that should be started now.
If it’s not started, you should follow the mentioned instruction in this article or try to restart the server then delete and reconfigure UPS service again!
Keep in mind, adding the farm account to local Administrator group is required only to start the User Profile Synchronization service.
After the User Profile Synchronization service has been started properly, you should remove the farm account from the Administrators group to avoid raising the below security warning in Health Analyzer.
- SharePoint 2016.
- SharePoint 2013.
- SharePoint 2010.