In Project Server 2013, I tried to open a project schedule via Microsoft Project 2013, and when I tried to add a new column to the default view, I got the following error:
Edits will not be saved. Any Edits made to the enterprise global template items are only available during this session
This problem usually occurs If you tried to change the enterprise global template that is a collection of default settings and used for all projects across the organization and can’t be changed during the current session.Meanwhile, if you tried to customize the enterprise global template by adding new columns with this method, you will lose all changes when you are going to open the project schedule at the next time!
To modify the enterprise global template default settings to customize project standards across your organization. you should follow the mentioned steps below:
- Run Project 2013 as PWA Administrator User.
- In Profile drop-down list > Select the Project Server URL.
- Go to Info > Organizer > Open Enterprise Global.
- Navigate to View Tab > Click on Tables.
- Tables > More Tables.
- Select Enterprise Template > Edit.
- The Table Definition will be shown.
- At any appropriate place click on column name (In my case, it’s predecessor) > Insert Row.
- The new column should now be inserted > Select your appropriate columns from the drop down list.In my case, I select % complete column > Click OK.
- Go Back to more Tables > Click Apply.
- From the above ribbon > Click Save.
- Close Microsoft Project 2013 > Check in the Global Template.
- Try to open the project schedule again that should be now worked properly with the new new customization for all users.