I this article, I will show how to overcome the below SharePoint error
Starting a page approval workflow in SharePoint cause a blank page with “This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources”
In SharePoint 2013, when I tried to submit a page for approval
I got a blank page without showing the approval workflow task form as shown below.
Also, I got the below security warning
This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources.
This problem usually occurs if the current page has been hosted within a secure HTTPS environment. Meanwhile, it embeds unsecured HTTP contents/scripts.
In my scenario, the SSL certificate has been configured on Load-Balancer, not on the WFE SharePoint server.
Therefore, the traffic encrypted up to the Load-Balancer, then it cleared between the Load-Balancer and the application server, this operation is called as SSL Offloading.
Although the SSL Offloading provides a good performance, it causes a lot of issue with SharePoint environment if it’s not configured properly.
BTW, if the SSL Offloading is not configured properly, and you have tried to browse a SharePoint web service like ProjectServer.SVC you will get the below error
This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS In SharePoint.
SSL offloading with SharePoint.
If you have configured the SSL on the load balancer and you already configured the SSL Offloading you still get This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources. that means the current SSL Offloading is not configured properly!
As a quick solution, you can use Google Chrome to force loading unsafe scripts link as the following:
- Clicking on Load unsafe scripts link.
- This action will force showing the approval workflow task form
- Click on Start to initiate the workflow but unfortunately, you will get the below critical error:
An error occurred submitting this form to the web server, click start over
- I do not despair, and I clicked on Start Over again to force starting the task.
- I checked the ribbon to make sure it has been submitted.
- Also, I went back to Site Content > Task list to ensure that the task has been assigned.
Note: The Google Chrome forces the loading of the unsafe script by clicking on “Load unsafe scripts“.
In case, you are using Internet Explorer you should enable the Display Mix Content settings. check the detail steps at Only Secure Content is displayed – Enable the Mix Content In Internet Explorer
As a permeant solution, you have two options
- Configuring the SSL offloading on the Load balancer to validate the certificate on the load balancer, not the WFE SharePoint servers.
- Installing the SSL certificate on the WFE SharePoint Servers.
Configure SSL offloading in SharePoint Farm
- Open Alternative Access Mapping in Central Administration.
- Consider you have a public URL “
- Edit the Public URL and Change it from HTTP to HTTPS “
- Add new Internal URL and add the HTTP URL “
- The final result should look like
Install the SSL certificate on the SharePoint Servers
It’s also preferred to install the same load balancer SSL certificate on the WFE SharePoint Servers. This is will ensure that there is no additional issue with the other application services like Search …etc.
Please, Feel free to pipe in, in the comments if you have something to share.
- SharePoint 2016.
- SharePoint 2013.
- SharePoint 2010.