In this hint, I’ll discuss
SharePoint Foundation 2016 Alternatives
SharePoint Foundation 2016
Since SharePoint 2007, we can get a free SharePoint Edition that includes the core functionality and fewer features than the commercial edition.
- In SharePoint 2007, there are
- A free edition called WSS that stands for Windows SharePoint Service,
- A commercial edition called MOSS that stands for Microsoft SharePoint Server.
- Also, in SharePoint 2010 / 2013, there are
- A free edition called SharePoint Foundation.
- A commercial edition called SharePoint Server.
So it was expected that the SharePoint 2016 will walk along the same lines. but unfortunately based on the below official Microsoft article and other articles.
- What’s deprecated or removed from SharePoint Server 2016.
- Simply, What’s new and deprecated features in SharePoint Server 2016?
SharePoint Foundation 2016 is no longer available in the SharePoint Server 2016 release.
What’re the alternatives for SharePoint Foundation 2016?
Continue using SharePoint Foundation 2013 as a free version
Let’s consider the SharePoint Server 2016 has a SharePoint Foundation 2016 with the core functionality but all the new features will be only available in SharePoint Server 2016 Edition as was the case in the previous SharePoint 2013 release,
So Why not continue to use the SharePoint Foundation 2013 as a free version? Especially, All the new features will be only available for the commercial edition.
Using SharePoint 2016 as a trial version
On the other side, some people may be said we need to explore the new features of SharePoint 2016 with a free edition.
In this case, SharePoint 2016 provides a trial version for (180 days) 6 months using the below trial keys based on your selected edition:
- Enterprise trial product key:
- Standard trial product key:
Note: You can’t use the SharePoint trail version in a production environment.
Note: After the SharePoint trial period has expired, You will not be able to extend the evaluation period, you should provide a SharePoint product key via Central Administration.
For walkthroughs check Extend SharePoint Trial Period
Using MSDN Subscription
MSDN subscription is also another option to use SharePoint 2016 as a free edition with the full functionality.
If you are working for a company that has MSDN subscription, you will be able to use SharePoint 2016 for free for development purposes. but remember you can’t use it in a production environment.
SharePoint Foundation 2016 Alternatives List
In my humble opinion, there is no a frank alternative for SharePoint Foundation 2016!
But we can summarize the available alternatives for SharePoint Foundation 2016 as the following:
- Continue using SharePoint Foundation 2013.
- Using 6 months valid trail version for SharePoint 2016.
- If your company has MSDN subscription, you would be able to use SharePoint 2016 for free for development purposes.
If there are other alternatives for SharePoint Foundation 2016, Please don’t hesitate to share with us your SharePoint Foundation 2016 alternatives in comments 🙂 .