In this article, I will explain How to
Extend a Web Application in SharePoint 2016
In some scenarios, you may need to share the same content with different types of users [Internal / External] through different URLs or different authentication types.
In this case, you will need to extend your SharePoint web application.
Extend a Web Application Important Notes
Before we getting started, you should first be aware of the following.
- When the web application is extended, a different Web Application and IIS are created.
- The main Web Application and the extended one will share the same Content Database.
- You can extend the web application to change the port number. Meanwhile, you can extend the web application to port 80 in case you use Host Header.
- Extending web application is used for extranet deployments in which different users access to the same content through different domains and different authentication type.
Below, I will show the simple steps to extend a SharePoint Web Application.
Extend a Web Application Steps
- Open Central Administration > Application Management > Manage web applications.
- Select the source web application and from the above ribbon click on Extend button.
- The Extend Web Application dialog will be shown.
- Fill the required information based on your requirements like the port number, change the authentication type …etc.
- SharePoint 2016.
- SharePoint 2013.
- SharePoint 2010
In this article, I have explained How can you extend a web application in SharePoint 2016?