In this article, I will Show
How to display a SharePoint list from Parent site in Sub Site?
In SharePoint 2016, I have a list in the parent site, I would like to show this list inside a page in the subsite.
So that when adding a new item to this list from the subsite, it should also be listed in the same original list in the parent site and vice versa.
Note: You can use the same steps to display a SharePoint list from subsite in parent site.
You have two options to display a SharePoint list from Parent site in a subsite:
- Using Data View Web Part.
- Using Content Query Web Part.
Using Data View Web Part
- Open your Parent Site via SharePoint Designer 2013.
- Go to File Site Pages > Create a new Page > Check it out > Edit it in Advanced Mode.
- From the above ribbon, Click on Insert > Data View > Select the list that you need to show on the subsite.
Note: In case the data view is disabled check DataView is disabled in SharePoint Designer 2013.
- Once the DataView is added, the ‘List View Tool‘ should be shown in the above ribbon.
- In the ‘List View Tool‘, at the ‘Web Part‘ tab > Click on ‘To Site Gallery‘.
- At the below dialog, Click on Yes to show the list data from the parent site list URL.
Check the details steps for the above section.
- Now open your subsite > Create a new page > Edit the page.
- Add new web part > At Miscellaneous category > the Exported data view web part should be listed > Add it.
- The Exported List should be now shown properly from the Parent Site in Sub Site.
- Try now to add a new item to the exported list in the Sub Site that should be also shown in the Parent Site and vice versa.
Using Content Query Web Part
You can use the Content Query Web Part as a supported OOTB solution. In case, you need to query data from Parent Site in Sub Site as the following:
- Open your Page > Click on Add web Part > below Content Rollup > Add Content Query Web Part.
- Click on open the tool pane to edit.
- At Query section, > at Show items from the following list: > click browse to browse any list from any site below the site collection.
Note: The CQWP is only available in Publishing Template or a site has SharePoint Server Publishing feature activated.
If you don’t have Publishing Template, you will need to
- Activate SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure in the Site Collection Feature below Site Collection Administration.
- Activate SharePoint Server Publishing in Manage Site Features below the Site Actions of the current site.
Note: you should note that activating these features will lead to missing the Save site as a template. For more details check Missing Save Site As Template In SharePoint
- SharePoint Online.
- SharePoint 2016.
- SharePoint 2013.
- SharePoint 2010.
In this article, we have learned How to
- Display a SharePoint List from Parent Site in Sub Site.
- Display a SharePoint List from Sub Site in Parent Site.
Check my answer at SharePoint.StackExchange.