In this article, I am going to solve the below issue:
We couldn’t run the report because we couldn’t connect to its data source. The report or data source might not be configured correctly.
In Power BI Report Server, although I can browse the report properly in Power BI Desktop.
But when I tried to browse the newly published report from the Power BI Web Portal, I got the below error:
We couldn’t connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you’ve entered the connection string correctly.
- Power BI desktop March 2018.
- The SQL Server is the source of data
- the connection is Direct Query, not Import Query.
This issue usually occurs in case you are using “DirectQuery” to SQL Server database,
in this case, the data source is working properly in the Power BI desktop, but after publishing the report to Power BI Report Server, you got
“We couldn’t run the report because we couldn’t connect to its data source. The report or data source might not be configured correctly.”
In this case, you will need to provide again the login credential of the report data source from the Power BI Web Portal.
- The user credential (Username & password) is provided correctly.
- The assigned user in the data source has the sufficient permission to access the database.
- Open Power BI Report Server Web Portal.
- Click on the report Eclipse ‘…‘ > “Manage“.
- From the right menu, select “Data sources“.
- Provide the login data (Username, Password) again in a correct manner.
- Click on Save.
- Browse the report that would be now working properly.
- Power BI.
- Power BI Report Server.