In this article, We will explain How to Expand Virtual Machine Hard Disk & Extend the Operating System Drive in Windows Server?
We have a Windows Server 2016 Virtual Machine, We want to extend the Operating System Drive, so we do the following:
- Expand Virtual Machine Hard Disk.
- Open Vmware Workstation > Open the Virtual Machine.
- From the left side > Click on “Edit Virtual Machine settings”.
- At “Hardware” Tab > Click on “Hard Disk”.
- Below “Disk Utilities” > Click on “Expand” button > Set the required extended size.
- Now you must repartition the disk and expand the file systems from within the guest operating system.
|The disk was successfully expanded. You must repartition the disk and expand the file systems from within the guest operating system.|
- Extend Hard Disk in Disk Management.
- Run Virtual Machine.
- Open Server Manager > File and Storage Services.
- Navigate to Disks >Right click on C:\ Drive > Select Extend Volume.
- The Extend dialog will be shown to set the New size.
- Set the New size > Click OK.
- You will get “Extend failed” status.
- Click on Extend failed to check the error details, you will get the below error:
|Error extending volume: Size Not Supported.|
We also tried to repartition the hard disk through Computer Management but unfortunately, The Extend option is disabled.