During planning an upgrade to SQL Server 2012, you first have to make sure that the target servers meet the necessary hardware and software requirements for SQL Server 2012 Setup to be completed.
Setup Requirements for an In-Place Upgrade
SQL Server 2012 Setup has important version-level requirements for upgrading
instances of SQL Server 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2 in-place. The basic requirements are
- SQL Server 2005: SP4 is required.
- SQL Server 2008: SP2 is required.
- SQL Server 2008 R2: SP1 is required.
- If your production instance of SQL Server 2005/2008/2008 R2 is installed on Windows Server 2003, you must upgrade to a new server by using a side-by-side upgrade.
- SQL Server 2012 is not supported on Windows Server 2003 and an in-place upgrade is not possible .
SQL Server Prerequisites Installed by Setup
The SQL Server 2012 Installation Wizard installs the following prerequisites (if they are
not already present on the computer):
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
- SQL Server Native Client.
- SQL Server support files.
To install SQL Server 2012 follow the mentioned steps below : Continue reading SQL Server 2012 Setup